Peyronie’s Disease Treatment in Atlanta, GA
Peyronie’s disease is a connective tissue disease of the penis. In other words, it causes scar tissue to form under the skin of the penis due to known or unknown injury to the penis.
Scar tissue can result in deformities of the penis. It may cause the penis to be bent or curved during an erection. It may also result in weak erections or pain in the penis.
Symptoms and Causes of Peyronie’s Disease
As many as 10% of men worldwide are estimated to have Peyronie’s disease. For most men, the effect of Peyronie’s is a visible and permanent deformity. Most men will experience a bend of the penis upward, downward or to either side. Usually the penis curves in the direction of the scar tissue. In addition, men may also find that they have lost length or that their shaft is narrow. The scar tissue can also result in erectile dysfunction.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you may have Peyronie’s disease:
- Pain with an erection or pain during sex
- Hard lumps or bumps in the penis
- Bent or curved penis
- Narrowing or shortening of the penis
The cause of Peyronie’s disease in most cases is unknown or even genetic. Some men report injury during aggressive sex or accident. In some cases, it may be part of a larger autoimmune disease.
Because the chances of getting Peyronie’s disease increase with age due to changes in the elasticity of the penis, men over the age of 50 are more commonly affected. In addition, men with a more active sexual lifestyle that may cause injuries to the penis, or men who have a family history of Peyronie’s disease have a higher chance of developing it over their lifetime.
Diagnosing Peyronie’s Disease
Peyronie’s disease can usually be diagnosed with a physical exam. In many cases, an erection is created with medication along with a penile ultrasound in order to closely examine the scar tissue along with the exact measurement of the curvature and/or narrowing of the penis. This allows for accurate and targeted treatment planning.
Treatment for Peyronie’s Disease with Dr. Kapadia
Treatments for Peyronie’s disease are centered around two important goals:
- Straightening of the penis that is adequate for sexual intercourse
- Maintaining strong and firm erections during sexual intercourse
Both of these goals are important because there can be a significant overlap between Peyronie’s disease and Erectile Dysfunction.
With medications and therapies, Peyronie’s disease can be effectively managed over time, pending the severity. Your urologist may prescribe a series of medications that may help inflammation or development of scar tissue. These treatments can include:
- Pentoxifylline (Trental®)
- Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors (Viagra or Cialis)
- Collagenase (Xiaflex®) Injections
These treatments must be discussed with your doctor prior, as they will be highly dependent on other health factors.
If you are experiencing severe issues with penile curvature or pain, surgery may be recommended. The types of surgery will depend on the severity as well as the quality of your erections. Most commonly, the surgeries will include the following:
- Penile plication – pulling the ‘longer’ or opposite side even with the side that has scar tissue
- Excision or incision of plaque and Grafting – removal of the scar tissue and placement of graft tissue to correct the curvature
- Placement of the penile implant – correcting the curvature with the above procedures and simultaneous placement of a penile implant in order to correct both the curvature and erectile dysfunction
Peyronie’s Disease Treatment in Atlanta, Georgia
If you are experiencing issues with Peyronie’s disease, see Dr. Kapadia, a fellowship-trained expert specializing in Peyronie’s treatment. Dr. Kapadia has offices in Roswell and Midtown. Make an appointment today to determine which treatment is right for you.